Tuesday, September 16, 2014

College? Yes. College with Type 1 Diabetes? How about no...

College?

Yes.


I started college in the fall of 2013 at a small private school in the middle of nowhere. I was both terrified about the new experience and excited at the same time. However, it seemed that my terror tended to overpower my excitement for this next step in my life. I couldn't wait to be more independent, to meet new people, and to start getting involved at my college; however, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something holding me back. There was something in the back of my mind, something that I could feel in the pit of my stomach, something that I knew was going to hinder my college experience. That something was type one diabetes.

College with Type One Diabetes?

How about no...


Not only was I scared to death about starting college in general, I was terrified about starting college and managing my diabetes too. I was scared to tell my roommate, my friends, and my professors. Looking back, I'm glad I did because it was the safest option in case anything were to happen to me, especially since I don't wear my medical alert bracelet... Anyway, I'm not really sure why I was scared because it's not like they judged me or treated me any different, but there was just something that was holding me back. Little by little, they all found out and I would both relieved and almost proud of my disease. That was when I realized just how strong I was, and how much stronger I was than a lot of people who didn't have to juggle classes, clubs, a sorority, and diabetes. As the semester progressed and the people in my life knew about my diabetes, I realized that I had other things to be afraid of when it came to controlling my blood sugars. Let's just say that dining hall food, late night study breaks, walking up hills both ways to class, stress, and so much more completely screwed with my blood sugars. My endocrinologist was not very happy with my A1C after my first three months in college. I was eventually able to adjust to my life style but it took a while. What I'm trying to say is that type one diabetes is hard, and it's even more difficult in college. I know I'm not the only one that went through is or are currently doing so, so to all of you out there I want you to know that you're not alone. More than likely, there are even other type one diabetics on your campus other than you. I know of quite a few just at my small, rural university! I'm inviting you all to find a community of supporters to help you during this crazy time in your life and to follow my blog to see my personal struggles and find out for yourself that you are most certainly not alone in the wild world that is known as college with type one diabetes! 

1 comment:

  1. Katelin
    Would you like to be interviewed for a book related to going to college with Type 1 diabetes? You could be the inspiration for the character. I am a CDE, and this would be for a website called thediabetescouncil.com. What do you say? Please give me a call if you can just after 5 pm today. Thanks, Liz Almekinder, RN, BA, CDE phone 843-618-3492

    ReplyDelete