Saturday, November 22, 2014

Battling your Endo Visits

Stupid Endocrinologists...


I feel like most type one diabetics have a very love-hate relationship with their endocrinologists. Right before and right after my visits with my endo, I really hate him. More than anything. But during those magical weeks or months between my visits, I think he’s a pretty great guy! Then I have to go for another visit and the whole cycle starts over again. I don’t really know many other type one diabetics, but I feel like this is probably a very common feeling across the diabetic community. However, through my rage and anger, I’ve come to realize three things and my endocrinologist: it’s not his fault, he’s just doing his job, and he knows more than us.

It’s not our endocrinologist’s fault that we have type one diabetes. He didn’t attack my pancreas and make it stop producing insulin. Although, if he did, I really would have a reason to hate him! Type one diabetes sucks… Anyways, I promise that your endocrinologist did not have anything thing to do with you being diagnosed with diabetes either. Actually, just to be clear, no one had anything to do with you being diagnosed! Auto immune diseases are just stupid.

They’re just doing their job; but unfortunately, their job sucks. Well, they might like it, I don’t really know. All I know is that almost all of their patients probably think their job sucks. However, no matter how much we resent our endocrinologist for telling us how to live our lives, they are honestly just trying to do their job and help us lead a healthier life with type one diabetes. They didn’t spend thousands of dollars and hours to be a doctor just so people would hate them. No. Our endocrinologists actually want to give us advice which might sound a whole lot like criticism, but is actually useful and important information that we need to listen to.

Wait. You mean as teenagers and young adults in college, we don’t know everything?? Sure we’re the ones that actually live and breathe type one diabetes, but our endocrinologists have actually studied the endocrine system and know the ins and outs of diabetes. No matter how much we fight them and resist their help, there is no denying the fact that they will always be smarter than us and know more about type one diabetes then us. Unless of course you decide to be an endocrinologist as well; if so, feel free to correct me when that happens. Until then, just accept that they know more than us, listen to them, and move on.

No matter how much you despise going to your visit with the endocrinologist, remember not to take anything they tell you personally. They are not there to purposefully hurt or offend you, I promise. I can tell you this from experience. I use to leave my endo appointments in tears because I thought they were calling me a terrible person for not having perfect blood sugars all the time. I was wrong. Very wrong. Our endocrinologists honestly just want to help us live healthier lives with type one diabetes. Seriously, the next time you’re fuming after seeing your endo, remember that it’s not their fault, they’re just doing their job, and they knows more than us.

No comments:

Post a Comment