Saturday, November 22, 2014

"Stupid" Questions about Diabetes

All of the ridiculousness...


Does it hurt? How are you diabetic if you’re not fat? Are you allowed to eat that? Is that a pager? How much sugar did you have to eat to get diabetes? Can I watch you test your blood sugar? Will you check my blood sugar? Do you have the good or bad kind of diabetes? Why can’t you just take pills for your diabetes like my grandpa does? So, you have, like, a lot of needles?

I know I can’t be the only type one diabetic that has been asked any one of these ridiculous questions. Actually, I can’t be the only type one diabetic that has been asked multiple of these questions. As ridiculous as these questions sound to those of us with diabetes, the people asking them have no idea how absurd they sound. As much as I like making fun of these people, their questions don’t actually bother me. I know they’re just curious, so instead of laughing and halfheartedly answering, I actually take the time to explain the answer. Even if they don’t really care about the answer, I’m going to take any chance I can get to educate people about type one diabetes. Since I obviously can’t answer everyone’s questions, I would like to answer a couple of the “stupid” diabetes questions that I get a lot.

1. “Are you allowed to eat that?” Why yes, actually I am! As a type one diabetic, I am allowed to eat whatever I want. Granted, I should follow a healthy diet like everyone else, but I do not have any diet constraints because I am diabetic. Thanks for the concern though, it’s nice to know you care!

2. “Do you have the good or bad kind of diabetes?” I wouldn't go as far as saying that either type of diabetes is worse than the other because neither are good, but I happen to have type one diabetes. Type one is the kind that is life long and has to be managed through insulin shots, while type two can typically go away through the implementation a strict diet and exercise plan. (Side note: I really appreciate this question because at least it shows that they know there are two different types of diabetes.)

3. “Is that a pager?” (Insert controlled chuckle here) No, it isn't a pager, it’s my insulin pump. I’m a type one diabetic so I’m hooked up to an insulin pump all the time so it can act like an external pancreas for me since my internal one doesn't produce insulin. (Side note: I honestly do have to laugh at this question, especially since I've been asked it multiple times. Who actually uses a pager anymore? Come on now.)

4. “Does is hurt?” No, it doesn't really hurt anymore. I’m pretty much use to it by now. (Side note: This is such a loaded question and it’s extremely hard to answer. What exactly are they referring to? The shots? The finger pricks? Life with type one diabetes in general? Well whatever they’re asking about, you don’t want to answer with yes because then they’ll pity you, but saying that it doesn't hurt at all will make you look like you’re trying too hard. In all honesty, I think simply saying that you’re used to it is a safe route to choose because it’s right in the middle. It says, “Yeah, of course all of these needles hurt, but I don’t have much choice in the matter so there’s no reason to dwell on it.”)


I’m sure there have been a ton of other questions that my fellow type one diabetics have been asked, but these are a few of my favorites to answer. Feel free to comment any of the “stupid” diabetes questions you've been asked and how you answered them!

No comments:

Post a Comment